How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs?
The best technique as to how to get rid of bed bugs is to use the method of extreme heat. This is the most effective way to kill bed bugs on clothes and bed sheets. In case of furniture, however, combination of chemical and non chemical means is required.
Here are a few suggestions on how to get rid of bed bugs.
• Wash all the clothes and linens infested with bugs in extremely hot water (120-140 °F or at least 60 °C). Finally, place them in hot dryer for about 10 minutes to half an hour (depending on fabric) to kill the eggs as well.
• Steam cleaning is effective in getting rid of bed bugs. Use dry streamer to kill bed bugs on box springs, mattresses, carpets etc. The method works best on clothes and wooden articles. Items that cannot be subjected to steam treatment can be exposed to extremely hot sunlight to remove bed bugs.
• Dry cleaning is another great way to get rid of bed bugs. Make sure you inform the dry cleaner about your bed bug problem and seal the clothes in a plastic bag before giving them for dry cleaning.
• Vacuum clean mattresses (particularly the edges), bed frames, area behind headboard, other furniture items and all the areas of your house suspected of infestation. This method can be followed by steam cleaning to eliminate bed bugs considerably.
• As bed bugs hide in cracks and crevices in walls and floors, get these susceptible areas repaired. However, sealing these pesky pests behind such spaces is not going to kill them.
• You can use products like bed bug traps, sprays, rubbing alcohol, boric acid powder, diatomaceous earth, crystal silica gel and so on.
Although, when taking steps to treat bed bug infestations, remember that perfect solution for this problem calls for destruction of bedbug eggs as well.
• If you are relying on chemical treatments, be careful to use them on targeted sites only and avoid using them on clothes, bedspreads and surfaces of mattresses.
• When the infestation is severe, call a qualified bed bug extermination professional to help you get rid of bed bugs.
• Discard the notoriously infested items that cannot be treated even with combination of steam and insecticides.
Home remedies on how to get rid of bed bugs naturally
• Fossil shell dust, canola oil, black walnut dust and cayenne pepper serve as wonderful bed bug removal home remedies.
• Placing lavender sachets in areas prone to infestation is another easy tip to repel bed bugs. Plus, you can use combination of 4 drops of lavender oil, a tablespoon of vodka and 4 ounces of distilled water to keep these parasitic insects away from you.
• Undiluted essential oils like tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil, thyme oil etc help provide protection against bed bugs.
In addition, it is recommended to adopt bed bug control measures (especially during travel), reduce clutter and inspect your house for bed bugs at least once in a week to get rid of bed bug infestation before it becomes serious.
Here’s a video showing how to get rid of bed bugs.